Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Purpose

I'm making this up as I go, so here goes:

It's easier to state what this ain't.

This ain't an online journal where I express deep personal feelings for only a selected few (none) to read. I have a livejournal account for that.

This ain't an online social profile where I try to keep up with friends and family and "stay in the loop". I have a facebook and myspace account to serve that need, and I already don't bother to update them that often.

This is NOT a vehicle for mere opinion. Oh sure, you'll get plenty of my opinion, but it won't be merely my opinion. There will be some element of research and reference in this blog.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. I'm starting to talk about what this blog IS. Let's continue while I'm still hot.

This will be a commentary on something specific. Politics, philosophy, gaming, sport(s), current events, literature review, movies, music, culture.

I'd like the topic to be consistent, so that there's an overarching theme on this blog. "Dared to Think (about X)" Snazzy title, consistent topic, thoughtful posts.

I'll be honest: this blog was an assignment from my professor, Dr. Angela Crow. I'm taking two classes with her this semester, and both classes seem to have a heavy "blogging" focus. I'm not sure right now exactly what she wants me to blog about, so I'm slow to jump right in. What I do know is that I'll have some say in what I blog about, so I can posts sorta "preview posts" like this.

No comments: